Monday, 2 August 2010

Review: Wicked Lovely

Rule 3: NEVER STARE AT INVISIBLE FAERIES. Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world.

Rule 2: NEVER SPEAK TO INVISIBLE FAERIES. One of them, a beautiful faery boy named Keenan, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule 1: DON'T EVER ATTRACT THEIR ATTENTION. Now it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King and is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost. Without her, summer itself will perish.

I've heard a lot of good things about this series. I bought this book about a year ago and have only just got around to reading it. I also loved the cover. Onwards to the review...

I really wasn't sure what to expect with this book. I think I've only read one other book about faeries. The beginning confused me. There were quite a few characters (Seth, Aislinn, Donia, Grams, Keenan, Beira) and I had trouble working out who was who and how they related. However, as the book progressed, everything fell in to place and it all made sense.

My favourite character was Aislinn. She is a fiery person with a good heart. Aislinn has lived by certain rules all her life and not been adversely affected them. She also has the Sight which is a gift that runs in her family.

Seth is a caring individual but I felt like I didn't know enough about him. He was just, well, too perfect. Keenan is a character I could truly hate. I know he has to do certain things, but if I were Aislinn or one of the Summer Girls, I would not be able to forgive him.

The book centres around one main plot and as such I found it made slow reading. I could put the book down very easily.

Overall, I found Wicked Lovely to be an average book. It was readable but my interest never particularly peaked at any point in the story. I own the series so I may continue, I just hope it improves.

And I have one question for anyone who has read this book: why is it called wicked lovely?

15 comments:

  1. Nice review Kate! I totally agree with you. I thought this book was average too, I never continued the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this...I might at some point in the future. I really liked Bones of Faerie. That's pretty much the only faerie book I've read I think...

    Anywho, glad you liked it somewhat. But sorry it was boring in parts!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I found this good but not great and I didn't read the others. Pretty covers though!


    Alyssa
    Teens Read and Write

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eleni - Thank you. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought it was average.

    Lauren - Thank you. I've heard good things about "Bones of Faerie". If you do read Wicked Lovely in the future I hope you enjoy it more than I did.

    Alyssa - Thanks! You've got to love those covers even if you don't like the content :)

    Alyssa -

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with this review. I liked this one, and quite liked the next in the series, but then didn't manage to finish the third. I guess I liked some of the ideas at work, and the fate of Donia was pretty fascinating. But like you, I was never gripped by the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren - I think I'm going to try the second one. I believe I bought the first three last year on my birthday. I'm a sucker for pretty covers :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this book and am looking forward to reading Ink Exchange. Great review:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. TSB - Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard of this book, but not much about it- so thank you!
    The only other 'fairy' books I've read are the 'Need' series, which were great, so I might give this a try. See if I can figure out why it's called Wicked Lovely! It's a pity you didn't really 'get into' the book- but look forward to your reviews for the rest of the series [if you read them] :)
    -Ria

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ria - I probably will continue with the series and review them :)
    I hope you can work out why it's called "Wicked Lovely".

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually loved this book, though I didn't like the others at all, but thanks for the honest review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lauren - Thank you :P I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    Do you know why it was called Wicked Lovely?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember thinking this one was average as well, it just didn't capture my attention. Nice honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really want this book....but with the ever growing tbr pile i think i need to pause with the buying for a while lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is good book and i loved this book.

    ReplyDelete