Tuesday, 27 July 2010

Review: Beastly

I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright - a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever - ruined - unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly... beastly.

I'm going to start off by telling you why I wanted to read this book. Belle was always my favourite princess. I never did like the blonde ones. She loved books, was sweet by nature and able to see the beauty in people. So a book which is a modernised version of Beauty and the Beast caught my attention easily enough. The second reason is Alex Pettyfer. Okay, I'll admit now, I do like him. And I knew he was going to play Kyle in the film later this year, so I thought I'd read the book first. But onwards to the review...

The main character is Kyle Kingsbury. He is the perfect looking guy in school. Kyle is top of the social ladder and is son to a rich news-presenter. But to say Kyle was perfect would be a lie. Firstly, he lives a life where his father cares more about work than his son and takes little interest in his life. His father is concerned mainly with his life and his reputation. Secondly, Kyle is generally quite a nasty and spiteful person. He has a large ego and is aware of the power he has over people. What I liked about Kyle is that he was realistic as a character. There are shallow and spoilt people out there so it wasn't as if he was difficult to picture.

Having seen the film "Beauty and the Beast" before, I knew what the general plot would be. However, I didn't know any of the finer details or how Alex Flinn would modernise this classic. I think Alex Flinn did a very good job of keeping this book relevant. I did have a few problems with this book though. I felt that for such a short plot, the book was quite long. I enjoyed seeing the relationship between the beast and the beauty (I won't put the name so I don't spoil it) develop, however, I did think it was dragging on at parts. I'm generally not a very patient person so this may be less of an issue with other people. Knowing the plot also meant that I was waiting for certain parts to happen.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. I love the story of Beauty and the Beast and I love the modern version. This book was good but not great. There was just something it lacked. If you like the story of Beauty and the Beast I recommend it.

6 comments:

  1. Great review, I enjoyed this book too! I can't wait to watch the movie, too bad they pushed it all way to 2011 :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab review! I bought this a while back because I wanted to watch the movie but still haven't gotten around to reading it! Hopefully I'll read it before the movie comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eleni - I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm really excited about the film.

    Lucie - Hopefully you'll get a chance to read it before the film. I can't wait to see the film!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! it sounds like a good read, though I'm not sure if I'll read it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren - Thanks! I'm really excited for the film personally. If you do read it, I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete