Thursday, 18 February 2010

Recommendations?

Okay, I've enjoyed lots of books. But the two series that I first read and fell in love with are the Alex Rider series and the Harry Potter series. I started both of these series when I was quite young. I loved the action in the Alex Rider series.

I don't know what it is I love about the Harry Potter series. It's just... everything. It was a whole new magical world. The storyline and characters had me captivated. I genuinely cared for the characters. I cried and laughed throughout the series and was shocked by twists and turns. I grew up with this series and waited at midnight to get it! It will always be a series with a special place in my heart. Children everywhere do owe JK Rowling a lot.

But my question is, I've read and enjoyed these books, I wanted to know if anyone can recommend something that is similar? Not necessarily in storyline but something that will compete for the top spot as my favourite book series? And just a quick question for anyone who has read the Lord of the Rings series, what are the orders of the books because I'm not sure if the Hobbit is related? And is the series by J.R.R. Tolkien any good?

7 comments:

  1. One of my favourite series' is The Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine. They're action-packed and suspenseful, but also really funny and have a sweet romance. It's one of those series that I want never to end.

    Again with the vampire theme, Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series is one I can't get enough of. It has a kickass heroine, the king of all heroes and is full of adrenalin and drama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried reading the Harry Potter series, but it just didn't do it for me.
    I agree with So Many Books, So Little Time a awesome book series is Morganville Vampire Series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Septimus Heap books by Angie Sage are the next big thing in wizarding and I enjoyed the first one.

    I don't know much about LotR but I know 'The Hobbit' comes first, but you don't need to read it before the main trilogy,a lthough I would because I'm series compulsive like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all your suggestions.

    I have the first Morganville vampire book but have yet to read it. I've also read some of the Vampire Academy series but that's sort of on hold until I've finished my review books.

    The HP series isn't for everyone. I'll have to get round to reading the Morganville Vampire series.

    I might get the Septimus Heap books. They sound good. Thanks for the info about the Hobbit. I hate not reading something in order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed and would recommend the His Dark Materials trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Septimus Heap is a very good read...you must stay with it. The Lightning Thief By Rick Riordan, Artemis Fowler Series (start at the beginning). The Guardians of Time Trilogy (The Named, The Dark and The Key.
    M.L.Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I knew what you'd already read, but as a mom of three - I'm don't read blogs as often as I should.
    * The Midnighters - three quick books to read based around the question "what if. . . " These are, "what if time stopped at midnight for an hour?"
    * "City of ______" books. Love them more than any other series I've read.
    * I Love "Intertwined" and have a feeling I'll enjoy the next book as much.

    ReplyDelete