Thursday, 3 December 2009

Review: Chrysalis: The Awakening

Today's book is one that I had not heard of before. And yet I was pleasantly surprised. I read, and enjoyed, "Chrysalis: The Awakening" by M.L. Lacy. If you haven't heard of it before, here is the blurb:

All families have secrets. But at 32 years old, Bree Campbell is discovering that her entire life has been a secret. Like most people, it never occurred to her to question her mortality; that is until she learns that she is a mortal born into a family of Magicals and begins to question everything and everyone in her life.

As the doors to Bree's new world fly open and she finally hears the prophecy told at her birth she must face the revelation that she is a Chosen Ones. And if this were not overwhelming enough, she has been charged with saving the earth by repairing the cosmic tear that binds the mortal world she has always known and the Magical world she is just now discovering.

Bree's journey will not be an easy one. She must face the realities of her new life and her new family; a clan of vampires who have been charged with protecting her for all of her mortal life. They have chosen her as a leader in their clan, a position that has really complicated things for her. For no sooner than Bree is finally reunited with her long lost love, Steven, Bree must learn how to navigate the jealousies and emotions within her new family.

Bree's arch nemesis is Esmerelda, a powerful sorceress in her own right who will stop at nothing until the Chosen One is dead. If Esmeralda can claim Bree's blood, heart and soul and restore her Demon to his body, she will be so strong that none will be able to oppose her and she will be free to rid the world of all mortals and rule as she chooses.

But with the help of the Guardians and her dreams, Bree begins to awaken the powers hidden within her and begins to embrace the responsibility she has been born to. And even while these changes make her body weak, Bree begins to find an inner strength she never knew she had within herself. Will it be enough to save the world?

Well that was a long blurb! I really think it should have been cut down. But on to the real review...

I loved this book, and I'll tell you why. I loved the strong female protagonist, the mix of magic, a prophecy, love, Magicals, vampires, elves, giants, gnomes and werewolves. Although these are all mentioned, not all appear but there are references to them.

The main character is Aubrey or as she is known to her friends, Bree. I liked Bree. She had dealt with the harsh realities of her life with acceptance, but when she found out who she was, or who she was going to become, she vowed that no one would ever take her choice away from her anymore. I also loved how confident she was in the way she spoke to people. Bree always seemed to know what to say, which is down to Odessa, who is guiding her inside her mind. Bree is a Chosen One, but she never knew through her childhood and when she saw strange things, she thought she was insane.

There are a lot of characters in this book. Although I never found it that hard to keep up with who everyone else was. The characters were quite distinct. Each seemed to be entranced by Bree. Well, that is apart from those who want her dead. Her existence seems to peeve some people off. There are many who would like to see her dead.

The plot itself is excellent. I loved every part of it. And I will warn everyone right now, there is a lot of sex in this book. But none of it is really that graphic. I enjoyed reading every part of this book. It was longer than I expected it to be. It comprises of 41 chapters, 589 pages. That's why it took me a while to read. But I love long books so it didn't bother me. This really was a great book with an intricate plot. I really want to know what happens to Bree in the next book. M.L. Lacy has created a superb book.

28/30

19 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I am adding this one to my wish list then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ first when I was reading the summary I thought about, Once a Witch for some odd reason.
    It seems interesting.
    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard before about this book but the cover is so pretty and your review so nice i can't but check it out =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I don't think this is one I would have picked up normally, and it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun mix. And secrets are always fun to uncover (fictional ones at least)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been getting into paranormal stories lately, so this is one I just might have to look into. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds really interesting! I'm adding this one to my to-read list. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. omgoodness, this sounds magically GREAT! Thanks for the superb review:-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh thanks for this, it sounds great. Enjoyed your review! Hope you enjoy the Christmas holidays!

    Sassy
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't heard of this book before but it seems nice and now i think i should read it.I love reading novels and now after reading this review i can't wait to have its one copy.I will look forward for more.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am now officially a follower of ur blog!
    Cindy
    princessbookie.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd never heard of this before either, but your review has me intrigued. I also really like that cover. I'll look out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well this is really fantastic, great work, keep it up, thanks for sharing this with us.

    nintendo dsi r4

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was really great book, the Awakening is book one in this epic installment by debut author, M.L. Lacy which is a coming to age story where the main character Bree has lived under the conjecture that she is just your average thirty two year old woman. Yep, Bree has gone through a indescribable marriage and divorce, survived some pretty unexplainable accidents and have the most over protective parents that any girl could ask for. But things are about to get a little strange.

    spiritual healing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bree is expecting a dull vacation, hanging around with Gran and her senior citizen friends as they gamble the nights away. But things are not as they seem, and Bree's life is about to change forever. You see, Bree isn't an ordinary human but rather a `Chosen One,' a member of a select group of powerful "Magicals" who have amazing powers.

    laptop reviews

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, Your story was equally beautiful and moving and congrats to you for surviving. Its cover is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have not heard of this book before, but it looks good, now I think I should read love reading novels, talking to himself now reading this review. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. One exciting new advance in breast lift technology is the Laser Bra Surgery. It is designed to offer stronger internal support to lift and enhance the breasts and create a youthful, firm appearance. During the procedure, the same approach to incisions is used as in traditional breast augmentations, lifts, and reductions.

    ReplyDelete