Friday, 9 October 2009

National Poetry Day

I'm not sure if National Poetry Day is a UK or national thing. The word national is making me think it's the latter but you can never be too sure. For those of you who don't know, National Poetry Day was the 08th October, yesterday. The theme was heroes/heroines. So I thought I'd share a poem with you that I made up when I was thirteen (so don't judge it too harshly). It was a poem made for remembrance day and was meant to honour those who had given their lives in wars and remind people to buy a poppy. These people are heroes so it does tie in. Here it is:

A poppy is a symbol of hope against fear,
A poppy reminds us of how we lost family close and near,
A poppy resembles the lies we were told,
Since before our life they will grow till we're old.

In the war not a day went by where someone didn't feel pain,
A poppy was the light which led us through the rain,
The only thing that would grown in no-mans land,
The dead would fall in to its petal hand.

But all guns went silent at 11 o'clock on the 11th November,
This is why every year we ask you to remember,
All those people who gave their lives,
The symbol of a poppy, so forever and for always, buy one this time.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome poem, Kate! I used to write a lot of poetry when I was younger. They were never very good, but I enjoyed doing it. Two of my favourite poems are The Sick Rose by William Blake and Sonnet 116 by William Shakespear. Neither very hero-y though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the repetition of the image of the poppy. So poignant and so beautiful. I'm starting to assemble all of my notes for my poem. Hopefully it will be on my blog next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I really love it. You wrote well for a 13 year old I think!!! I used to write a lot of poetry but I haven't for a couple years now sadly. :)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Kate it is absolutely beautiful. You are a caring soul & it shines in this lovely poem : ).

    Some 13 year old aspiring poets should be so lucky to write as well as you did.

    Thank you, Kate, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo - Thank you. I also used to write a lot of poetry when I was young. I'm sure your poems were brilliant. I've gained a lot of favourite poetry from having to analyse am anthology of AQA poems.

    Heather - Thank you. I can't wait to read your poem!

    Lauren - Thank you. You should start writing poetry again. It'd be good to read on your blog.

    Diane - Thank you so much. You're so sweet. Big hugh for my older sis.

    Alyce - Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete