Wednesday, 1 July 2009

Waiting on Wednesday

I have quite a few books for my WoW post today:

The Keepers' Daughter by Gill Arbuthnott
Ten years ago, Alaric, leader of the Shadowmen, killed many of the Keepers - the teachers and bearers of ancient knowledge threatening his barbaric rule. Now rebellion is flaring up in the Archipelago again and the Shadowmen are out hunting for keepers once more. Fourteen-year-old Nyssa and her uncle, Marius, descendants of the Keepers, must flee, but there is a greater reason that Nyssa is in danger - on her skull is one half of a strange tattoo, three lines of writing in a strange unintelligible script, the Legend of the Keepers.

Borders says this book hasn't been released but Amazon says it has :S


The Thornthwaite Inheritance by Gareth P Jones
Ovid and Lorelli Thornthwaite have been trying to kill each other for so long that neither twin can remember which act of attempted murder came first. But whoever struck first, trying to take each other's lives is simply what they do. Until one day a lawyer arrives at their house to take stock of its contents, and his accompanying son attracts their attention. Soon a new battle evolves - one in which the twins have to work together to solve the mystery of their parents' deaths. Can Lorelli and Ovid overcome their old animosities, and will they ever get to finish that game of chess?

Borders also says that this hasn't been released and Amazon reckons it has. It looks really good anyhow.

Quicksilver - Samira Osman


Three children, born on different continents, are mysteriously connected by the power of ancient leylines. What cosmic force brings them to an ordinary London suburb to fulfil a prophecy written in pre-history? Will it explain why their parents have vanished? And the chilling secret of who they really are?






Too Close to Home - Linwood Barclay
When the Cutter family's next-door-neighbours, the Langleys, are gunned down in their house one hot August night, the Cutters' world is turned upside down. That violent death should have come so close to them is shocking enough in suburban Promise Falls, but at least the Cutters can console themselves with the thought that lightning is unlikely to strike twice in the same place. Unless, of course, the killers went to the wrong house At first the idea seems crazy. But gradually we discover that each of the Cutter family has a secret they'd rather keep buried. What was on that old computer teenage Derek and his friend Adam Langley had salvaged? And where is it now? What hold does a local professor and bestselling author have on Eileen Cutter? And what does Jim Cutter know about Mrs Langley that even her husband didn't? To find out who killed the Langleys and why, everybody's secrets are going to have to come out. But the final secret - the secret that could save them or destroy them - is in the one place nobody would ever think of looking...


And two books I don't have but really want (they are out now but when I tried ordering them, they said they couldn't get any after two months of waiting):


-Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

-Quidditch Through the Ages

I've just decided that I shall get the above two books with some Waterstone's vouchers my sister is giving me! Yes, now I just have to wait for the vouchers to come. Waiting, waiting, waiting, argh, I'm not a patient person! Waiting, waiting, waiting...

EDIT TO ADD: Prophecygirl (Jenny) from Wondrous Reads has told me that "The Keepers' Daughter" and "The Thornthwaite Inheritance" are out. Yay!
And I forgot to say that Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

15 comments:

  1. The Keepers' Daughter and Thornthwaite are definitely out, think they arrived in stores early. We have them at work!

    Thornthwaite is so good, I think you'd enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, the Borders webiste lies.
    I was looking through the pre-order section.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're waiting for a lot of books! I hope you get them all soon and enjoy reading them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Thornwaite Inheritance sounds like a really good book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you get your books soon & the wait is a short one.

    I love the cover for The Thornthwaite Inheritance! It also sounds like a good one. I wrote it down, so will add this to my growing list. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read The Thornwaite Inheritance too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Just dropped in ur blog browsing...found ur posts intresting!

    In case if you have review blogs & ur intrested to know about India then drop in some day on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate waiting for books as well.I waited so long for this one book when I finlly got it,it was a disappointment!!
    The books above look really good tho.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great books! The Thornthwaite Inheritance looks fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quidditch through the ages?! Is that a HP reference:-D? The first 2 books look pretty unique...
    -AMY

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got Fantastic Beasts and Quidditch from PaperBack Swap. They have the books available right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The two books I want are by J.K. Rowling, written with a different name, and were released for comic relief a few years ago. I need them! I'm a Harry Potter fanatic =D

    I don't use PaperBack Swap :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kate,
    The Thornthwaite Inheritance looks awesome :)
    Looking forward to your reviews hun!
    Have a great day,
    Chilli xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to agree with everyone else--Thornwaite Inheritance is the winner! I like the cover too, looks so fun. Great picks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone for your comments. I need to go book shopping!!

    ReplyDelete