Thursday, 25 June 2009

Review: Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy is the first in a series by Richelle Mead. Here is the blurb for Vampire Academy:

Lissa Dragomir is a Moroi princess: a mortal vampire with an unbreakable bond to the earth's magic. She must be protected at all times from Strigoi, the fiercest and most dangerous vamires - the ones who never die.

The powerful blend of human and vampire blood that flows through Rose Hathaway, Lissa's best friend, makes her a Dhampir. Rose is dedicated to a dangerous life of protecting Lissa from the Strigoi, who are hell-bent on making her one of them.

After two years of illicit freedom, Rose and Lissa are caught and dragged back to St. Vladimir's Academy, hidden in the deep forests of Montana. Rose will continue her Dhampir education. Lissa will go back to being Queen of the elite Moroi social scene. And both girls will resume breaking Academy hearts.

Fear made Lissa and Rose run away from St. Vladimir's - inside the Academy's iron gates, their world is even more fraught with danger. Here, the cutthroat ranks of the Moroi perform unspeakable rituals, and their secretive nature and love of the night creates an enigmatic world full of social complexities. Rose and Lissa must navigate through this dangerous world, confront the temptation of forbidden romance, and never once let their guard down, lest the Strigoi make Lissa one of them forever...

Now that, was a vampire story. I've only read one vampire series before this book, and it was too happy for vampires. But anyway, we're not talking about that unnamed series. Vampire Academy was a really enjoyable read and I actually cared for the characters.

The main two characters in this book are Lissa, the Moroi princess, and Rose, the Dhampir vampire. Rose is Lissa's guardian, or at least she wil be after completing her training. Rose is a kick-ass heroine which is something I liked. However, I found her to be irritating at times with the way she acted. Overall though, I liked how much she cared for Lissa.

Lissa is a caring invidual who I liked and cared for. She trusted Rose completely and didn't like to see her upset. Rose was quite sacrificing when it came to Lissa's needs. And another character I want to mention is Dimitri. He is another guardian who appears in the book. Is it wrong to have a book crush? I have always had a thing for guys with a Russian accent. But this guy can kick serious ass as well. But you shall have to read the book to find out more about him.

The plot of this book is really interesting. I wanted to know what was happening to Lissa and why. Why did they have to leave the Academy in the first place? Who is pulling pranks on Lissa? And why does the girl called Mia hate Lissa so much? It's really intriguing and was just an all-round good read. I love reading about worlds which are different to our own and I'm interested to learn about different types of vampires and how they needed one and another.

Hookability? I had to stop reading this book because I've been busy (hence the lack of posts). But I know that if I had the chance, I would have read this in a maximum of two sittings. You were just watching events unfold and it was one of those instances where you NEEDED to know what would happen.

Overall, an extremely enjoyable vampire read which everyone should sink their teeth in to. Sorry for the pun. It was just a really good read and a proper vampire book. I cared for the characters and think this is the start of a great series!

Characters - 10/10 (a Russian kick-ass guy here)
Plot - 10/10 (kept me interested)
Hookability - 9/10 (I would have been able to get in to it more had I not had to put it down)

Total - 29/30

15 comments:

  1. Kate, come pick up your Kreativ Blogger award!!
    http://lafemmereaders.blogspot.com/2009/06/whoo-hoo-ive-been-nominated.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review. I may have to buy this one as I'm fed up with waiting for the library to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear you enjoyed it, and great review! We should have a review of this soon too, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review - so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review this has definitely made me decide about when to read this book which will be soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review, Kate. I can't wait to read this series. Hmmm... there is another vampire series? Imagine that? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey ur blog is pretty great ^^

    Im having a contest at mine, if u want to check it out... Actually two, but one ends tomorrow, but u still have time to sign up!

    www.bloodybookaholic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this series. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope it's fine to have book crushes because I have probably 30. :P Thanks for the awesome review Kate!

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete
  10. I reviewed this recently as well and enjoyed it. I thought the plot was slow in the middle but the action packed ending made up for it. I also grew to like Rose, which I didn't think was possible in the beginning of the book. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kate,
    Brilliant review! Love the way you've got a thing for boys with a Russian accent lol!!
    Chilli xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like another good read. I'll add it to my list...my TBR pile is toppling over!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm soooo ready to start this series. Great review Kate!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eleni - Thank you!

    Euro Crime - I hope you get a chance to read it.

    Chicklish - Thanks, I hope you enjoy it.

    prophecygirl - Thank you!

    Rebecca - I hope you enjoy it.

    Diane - Thanks. Amd LOL at another vampire series =D

    Taschima - Thank you! I'm replying late but I think I did go over to your blog!

    Sophie - Thank you! =D

    Alex - As long as it's okay. I have a few book crushes I think. But Dimitri is in another league!

    Jess - Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it overall.

    Chilli - Thanks. I loved Russian accents. And I've recently learnt how to say hello and goodbye in Russian.

    Kitty Keswick - Why is that TBR lists only seem to grow?

    Mishel - Thank you!! And I hope you get a chance to read this series.

    ReplyDelete