Friday, 22 May 2009

Review: The Knife of Never Letting Go

Wow. I loved this book. It was what I wanted in a book. Just wow. I'm going to start gushing like an idiot if I don't tell you what this book is about so I can gather my thoughts. The Knife of Never Letting Go is written by Patrick Ness. Thank you Patrick Ness. Here is the blurb:

"If one of us falls. We all fall..."
Todd Hewitt is the last boy in Prentisstown.

But Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in a constant, overwhelming, never-ending Noise. There is no privacy. There are no secrets.

Or are there?

Just one month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd unexpectedly stumbles upon a spot of complete silence.

Which is impossible.

Prentisstown has been lying to him.

And now he's going to have to run...

Astonishingly powerful and breathtakingly exciting, The Knife of Never Letting Go is an unflinching novel about the dangerous choices of growing up.

I really am in love with this book. But I''ll tell you why, this is my type of book. I love books which have a large amount of action/adventure with a great plot. In other words, I want a fast paced read that you have trouble putting down. And this book ticked all those boxes for me.

The plot was original. In Prentisstown, there is a germ, the Noise germ. It means you can hear everyone else's Noise. Noise is people's thoughts, and other things that are swirling around in the back of their mind. You never have no Noise. Even when you sleep, you have Noise, it's just more crazy than normal Noise. Imagine it? Not being able to keep anything secret. Not really being safe inside your own mind. Anyone can know what your thinking. And that's what makes this book so interesting. But there's more. Todd, the youngest Prentisstown boy, stumbles upon a spot of complete silence. But that's impossible because there is never silence. Even when you're alone you can hear your Noise. And one more point on the plot, the animals can talk. Here is the first line: "The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to stay."

The characters? The main character is Todd Hewitt. At times I thought he could be slightly annoying but when are you ever going to love an (almost) teenager. And it isn't really his fault. He has spent his life being lied to. Then there is a girl: Viola. Viola is my favourite character and I was actually imagining who would play her if there were to be a film: please let there be a film. You learn more about her as the book progresses. And then the simple and yet brilliant dog: Manchee. He sees things so simply and really loves Todd.

I found it so hard to put this book down! I didn't read it, I devoured it. Seriously. I haven't been so in to a book for a long time. Just thinking about it brings back that amazing feeling. When I reached the end of this book I was angry. I thought to myself, "How dare Patrick Ness leave me on such a cliffhanger?" I need the next book. I have borrowed the first book from my library and I'm going to see if they can order in the second book tomorrow. I have to know what happens.

I recommend this book to those who love action/adventure. I really did love it. I realise that I might sound like a gushing idiot in my review above, but I really did love this book. It won the Guardian Children's fiction prize and is shortlisted for the 2009 CILIP Carnegie Award.

Characters: 10/10
Plot: 10/10
Hookability (ability to keep you reading): 10/10

Yeah, 30/30
My highest ever rating. I really do love this book and can't wait to get my hands on the sequel!

15 comments:

  1. It's brilliant to hear how much you loved this! Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just convinced me to request this book from my own library. :D Stunning review, and the book sounds so interesting. I think I saw it at a bookstore before, but never got around to getting it. But I'll have to read it now! Thank you. :)

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have this somewhere, I'm not sure. Even if I don't, after you're review, I'm definitely going to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds very, very good. I have both books, but haven't read them yet. I need more hours in the day!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, and I really did love this book. I love books that have action/adventure in them. It's why I like the Young Bond series and the Alex Rider series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved it too - right up until the end when I was like "WHAT?!" I am anxiously awaiting the sequel of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so angry with that ending! I went to my library today to check if they had the sequel, they didn't. I am tempted to get a library card for a different library just in case they have the book. I loved it. I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. I saw your comment on one of my older posts that said it was good and thought I'd read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have something for you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! I'm glad you liked it so much and you've convinced me to get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'm going to order the sequel from my bookstore here since there is no way my library will have it for another 5 years (if ever).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've asked my friend to check at her library to see if they have the second book. I'm hoping. I'm putting off book buying until after my exams when I get a job :)

    I can't wait though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this on my TBR list already. I absolutely loved your review. I'm so glad you liked it =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you :)
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I did when you get a chance to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kate,
    Thanks for the constant reviews, you're an inspiration for readers.
    Big up and bless up,
    Chocolate =)

    ReplyDelete